German Kaiser Wilhelm II with Austro-Hungarian Emperor Charles I during a visit to the front, 1917. .

 German Kaiser Wilhelm II with Austro-Hungarian Emperor Charles I during a visit to the front, 1917.

.

Today 107 years ago, on November 21, 1916, Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph I of the House of Habsburg died and was succeeded by his grand-nephew Charles I, the last Emperor of Austria-Hungary.

. 


As a result of a developing pneumonia and old age, on the evening of November 21, 1916, Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Joseph I died inside the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, the same place he was born, at the age of 86.

.

During her life, Emperor Franz Joseph's wife Empress Elisabeth had given birth to 4 children, but only 1 son to inherit the Austro-Hungarian throne, Crown Prince Rudolph, who committed suicide in 1889. 

. 

This left Emperor Franz Joseph's brother's eldest son Archduke Franz Ferdinand as the next heir in line to the Austro-Hungarian throne, who was assassinated in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914. 

. 

The next Habsburg heir in line was 29-year-old Charles, Emperor Franz Joseph's brother's eldest grandson, who until 1914 had lived his entire life unanticipating that one day he would succeed his grand-uncle as Emperor of Austria-Hungary.

. 

Upon the passing of Emperor Franz Joseph on November 21, 1916, Charles assumed the title of King Charles I of Austria. He was formally coronated on December 30 as King Charles IV of Hungary, making him Emperor of Austria-Hungary - and the last one.

.

Almost 2 years after his coronation, in October 1918 the Austro-Hungarian Army was decisively beaten by the Italian Army in the Battle of Vittorio Veneto, resulting the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire on October 30, 1918, as Hungary proclaimed independence.

.

On November 11, 1918, Charles issued a manifesto recognizing the Austrian people's right to determine the future form of government, essentially abdicating the throne, but never explicitly saying so: "I did not abdicate, and never will. I see my manifesto of 11 November as the equivalent to a cheque which a street thug has forced me to issue at gunpoint".

.


Comments

Pop

Popular posts from this blog

THE BREEDING FARMS OF HELL: AMERICA'S MOST DEPRAVED SLAVERY SECRETS THAT STILL HAUNT HUMANITY

😢 SLAVE BREEDING 😢

1890S WOMAN CARRYING CHARCOAL